What is cholestyramine?
Cholestyramine helps reduce cholesterol (fats) in the blood. High cholesterol is related to an enhanced danger of cardiovascular disease as well as atherosclerosis (clogged arteries).
Cholestyramine is used to reduced high degrees of cholesterol in the blood, specifically low-density lipoprotein (LDL) (” bad” cholesterol).
Cholestyramine powder is likewise made use of to treat itching triggered by an obstruction in the bile air ducts of the gallbladder.
Cholestyramine could likewise be utilized for functions not listed in this medication guide.
You need to not use this medication if you have a clog in your belly or intestines.
Wait a minimum of 4 to 6 hours after taking cholestyramine prior to you take other medicines.
Before taking this medicine
You ought to not make use of cholestyramine if you dislike it, or if you have:
a blockage in your digestion system (tummy or intestines).
To earn sure cholestyramine is secure for you, tell your medical professional if you have:
- chronic irregularity;
- a thyroid disorder;
- diabetes mellitus;
- kidney condition;
- liver condition; or
- coronary artery disease (stopped up arteries).
- This medication could contain phenylalanine. Speak with your doctor before utilizing cholestyramine if you have phenylketonuria (PKU).
Taking cholestyramine could make it harder for your body to absorb particular vitamins. Your doctor may suggest you take a vitamin supplement.
You may have an also greater demand for vitamin supplements during pregnancy or while you are breast-feeding a child. Follow your physician’s guidelines concerning taking vitamin supplements during treatment with cholestyramine.
It is not known whether this medicine will certainly harm a coming baby. Inform your doctor if you are expectant or strategy to end up being pregnant.
How should I take cholestyramine?
Adhere to all directions on your prescription label. Your medical professional may sometimes change your dosage. Do not utilize this medicine in larger or smaller sized amounts or for longer compared to suggested.
Although cholestyramine is usually taken once or twice daily, this medicine might be used up to 6 times each day. Meticulously follow your physician’s dosing instructions.
Mix the cholestyramine powder with a minimum of 2 to 3 ounces of water or other non-carbonated drink. You could likewise blend the powder with a brothy soup, smashed pineapple, or applesauce. Action the powder making use of the scoop supplied with your drug. Do not make use of any other scoop or measuring mug to determine your cholestyramine dose.
Cholestyramine works best if you take it with dishes. However, your dosing timetable could depend upon when you need to take other medications. Cholestyramine ought to not be taken within 1 hr after or 4 hrs prior to you take various other drugs.
Use cholestyramine frequently to obtain the most benefit. Obtain your prescription replenished before you run out of medication totally.
Cholestyramine might impact the surface areas of your teeth. Drinking the cholestyramine/liquid blend progressively or holding the liquid in your mouth for additionally long may result in tooth discoloration, enamel erosion, or dental caries. Make sure to brush your teeth regularly while you are utilizing this medication.
Consume alcohol extra liquids to avoid constipation while you are taking cholestyramine.
While utilizing cholestyramine, you may call for continuous blood evaluations.
Cholestyramine is just part of a complete program of treatment that could additionally include diet regimen, workout, and weight control. Follow your diet regimen plan, medication, and also exercise regimens truly closely.
Shop at room temperature away from wetness and warmth.
What happens if i miss a dose?
Take the missed out on dose as soon as you bear in mind. Skip the missed out on dosage if it is nearly time for your next arranged dosage. Do not take additional medicine to earn up the missed dosage.
What happens if I overdose?
Look for emergency situation medical interest or call the Toxin Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
Overdose symptoms could include serious tummy discomfort or irregularity.
What should i avoid while taking cholestyramine?
Prevent taking other drugs at the same time you take cholestyramine. Wait at the very least 4 to 6 hrs after taking cholestyramine before you take any other medications.
Cholestyramine side effects
Get emergency situation medical help if you have signs of an allergy: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your medical professional simultaneously if you have:
- recurring or aggravating bowel irregularity;
- extreme tummy pain;
- blood in your urine;
- black, bloody, or tarry feces; or
- very easy discoloration, unusual blood loss.
- Side effects such as irregular bowel movements might be more likely in older adults.
Common adverse effects could include:
- light constipation, looseness of the bowels;
- stomach pain, nausea or vomiting, anorexia nervosa;
- bloating or gas;
- inflammation of your tongue; or
- itching or irritability around your anal area.
This is not a total listing of adverse effects and also others could take place. Call your medical professional for medical recommendations about side effects. You might report negative effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See likewise: Negative effects (in more information).
Cholestyramine dosing details.
Common Adult Dose for Hyperlipoproteinemia:.
First dose: 4 g (1 package or degree scoop) by mouth once or twice a day.
Upkeep dosage: 8 to 16 g (2 to 4 packages or level scoops orally in 2 divided doses.
Optimum dosage: 24 g (6 packages or level scoops) each day.
– Increases in dosage need to be steady with routine analysis of lipid/lipoprotein levels at intervals of not much less than 4 weeks.
– Although the suggested application schedule depends on twice a day, this medicine could be provided in 1 to 6 dosages per day.
– As adjunctive therapy to diet prepare for the decrease of raised product cholesterol in clients with key hypercholesterolemia (elevated low thickness lipoprotein [LDL] cholesterol) that do not respond successfully to diet regimen strategy; could serve to lowered LDL cholesterol in people that likewise have hypertriglyceridemia, but it is not suggested where hypertriglyceridemia is the problem of most of worry; this medication has really furthermore been exposed to postpone the advancement as well as enhance the rate of regression of coronary atherosclerosis.
– For the alleviation of pruritus connected with partial biliary obstruction.
Normal Grownup Dosage for Hyperlipoproteinemia Kind IIa (Elevated LDL):.
Initial dose: 4 g (1 package or level scoop) orally one or two times a day.
Maintenance dosage: 8 to 16 g (2 to 4 packages or level scoops orally in 2 separated doses.
Optimum dosage: 24 g (6 packages or level scoops) daily.
– Increases in dose should be progressive with periodic evaluation of lipid/lipoprotein degrees at periods of not less compared to 4 weeks.
– Although the suggested dosing timetable depends on twice a day, this medication may be carried out in 1 to 6 doses daily.
– As adjunctive treatment to diet plan for the reduction of raised serum cholesterol in clients with main hypercholesterolemia (elevated low density lipoprotein [LDL] cholesterol) that do not respond properly to diet; might serve to lower LDL cholesterol in patients that additionally have hypertriglyceridemia, however it is not suggested where hypertriglyceridemia is the problem of many worry; this drug has actually likewise been revealed to delay the development and raise the rate of regression of coronary atherosclerosis.
– For the alleviation of pruritus associated with partial biliary blockage.
Typical Adult Dosage for Pruritus of Partial Biliary Obstruction:.
Initial dose: 4 g (1 package or level scoop) by mouth once or twice a day.
Maintenance dosage: 8 to 16 g (2 to 4 packets or level scoops orally in 2 split dosages.
Optimum dose: 24 g (6 packages or level scoops) each day.
– Rises in dosage must be steady with routine evaluation of lipid/lipoprotein degrees at periods of not much less than 4 weeks.
– Although the recommended dosing schedule is up to two times a day, this medication may be administered in 1 to 6 dosages daily.
– As adjunctive treatment to diet for the reduction of raised serum cholesterol in clients with key hypercholesterolemia (elevated low density lipoprotein [LDL] cholesterol) who do not react appropriately to diet regimen; might work to reduced LDL cholesterol in people who additionally have hypertriglyceridemia, but it is not suggested where hypertriglyceridemia is the problem of a lot of issue; this drug has actually additionally been shown to delay the progression and boost the rate of regression of coronary atherosclerosis.
– For the alleviation of pruritus related to partial biliary blockage.
Normal Pediatric Dose for Hyperlipoproteinemia:
240 mg/kg/day orally in 2 to 3 separated dosages not to exceed 8 g/day with dose titration based on action and resistance
– An ideal dosage schedule has not been developed in pediatric patients.
– Dosage shared in regards to anhydrous material.
– The impacts of long-term management in addition to this medicine’s effect in maintaining reduced cholesterol levels in pediatric people are unidentified.
Usage: As adjunctive treatment to diet plan for the decrease of raised product cholesterol in individuals with primary hypercholesterolemia (raised reduced density lipoprotein [LDL] cholesterol) that do not respond sufficiently to diet plan; might serve to lower LDL cholesterol in patients that also have hypertriglyceridemia, however it is not suggested where hypertriglyceridemia is the irregularity of many worry
For the Customer
Relates to cholestyramine: oral powder for suspension, dental tablet computer
In some pet research studies, cholestyramine was found to trigger growths. It is unknowned whether cholestyramine causes growths in people.
Along with its needed impacts, cholestyramine may trigger some unwanted results. Although not all these adverse effects could take place, if they do happen they may need medical interest.
Check with your doctor right away if any of the adhering to side effects take place while taking cholestyramine:
Black, tarry feces
tummy discomfort (serious) with queasiness as well as vomiting
Contact your physician asap if any one of the adhering to negative effects take place while taking cholestyramine:
Much more typical
Irregular bowel movements
Loss of weight (abrupt).
Some negative effects of cholestyramine might happen that usually do not require clinical emphasis. These side effects could disappear throughout therapy as your body obtains used to the medicine. Additionally, your health care professional might be able to educate you worrying methods to avoid or reduced several of these negative effects.